Re: Distribution of datafiles over disks vs. striped volume

From: Lawrence James <james.lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: 1996/02/09

>David-Michael Lincke wrote:
>>
>> We are planning on installing Oracle 7.2.2 on a HP9000 K200 dual processor
>> machine. The machine is currently equipped with three disk in an LVM
>> (logical volume manager) configuration.
>> There's 2 ways we could distribute datafiles/tablespaces over the disks.
>> Either we explicitly put different tablespaces on different logical volumes
>> that reside on different disks, or we create a new logical volume striped
>> over all 3 disks especially for oracle datafiles and place all datafiles in
>> there.
>> Hans anyone ever done any performance comparisons concerning those 2
>> configurations? Any recommendations are appreciated.
>>
>> HP-UX 10.01 stripes are 4MB in size each..in case that matters.

The problem with making one single large volume is in backup and recovery. You're going to have problems particularly if you want to be able to recover to the point of failure. You really should look at your backup/recovery requirements and how you'll use Oracle to meet them before working on performance.

If you're willing to do some administration you can still stripe the data by using tablespace datafiles on each disk and allowing the table to span the disks that way. You should stripe the indexes also.

I have done benchmarking using manually striped data and indexes and for OLTP it will out perform schemes like putting tables on one disk and indexes on another. Takes a lot of administration in practice because you have to keep the data volume balanced.

Lawrence....... Received on Fri Feb 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message