Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_ppp-mew.corp.sgi.com>
Date: 1996/02/09

In article <4fe4m4$f1c_at_news.ee.net>, mpower_at_ee.net writes:
> Brian Stoler <brian_at_feith.com> wrote:
>
> >Bill Wendling wrote:
> >>
> >> Alberto Maurizio Chavan inexplicably wrote:
> >>
> >> } Education:
> >> } University degree in Computer Sciences or equivalent.
> >>
> >> I always love it when people ask for such and such degree in CS. Didn't
> >> one of the people who started up Apple not have a degree in CS until
> >> long after the company get started? :) And look at The Gates!

> >Agreed. I'm a 16-year old junior in high school (employed by an ISV for
> >2.5 years) and it bugs me that people assume that one must have a
> >college degree to be a good job candidate. I'd hope that if I were
> >looking for a job this would not hinder me. Let the prospective
> >employee's ability speak for itself.

> >- Brian Stoler
> >- brian_at_feith.com
>
> Hi Bill and Brian,
>
> I could not agree more.
>
> [ snipped ]
>
> And no I do not have a collage degree :^)

Just to quickly jump into the fray... when I was working in the MIS organization at HP that supported their Technical Center, there was a guy their named Mark C. Mark knew the in's and out's of MPE 3000. He was well respected and generally a nice guy.

Mark had *no* college degree.

I've done some recruiting for SGI and *we* do look if someone has a degree but that's more of a rough "cut" if you will. If someone were to come in with real high credentials and no degree I'm sure that we'd still consider that person. (I shouldn't say that that was SGI policy but rather how "I" did recruiting).

And *yes* I do have a college degree: BSCS -- but so what? It doesn't make me better than others ...

Pablo Sanchez              | Ph # (415) 933.3812        Fax # (415) 933.2821
pablo_at_sgi.com              | Pg # (800) 930.5635  -or-  pablo_p_at_corp.sgi.com
"I am accountable for my actions." http://reality.sgi.com/employees/pablo_corp Received on Fri Feb 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message