Re: How fast is Oracle ?

From: Kevin Jernigan <kjerniga_at_emergent.com>
Date: 1996/02/08

The apparently excessive log writing activity you noticed could have been caused by log_buffer being set too small in your startup parameter file (init.ora file). Setting log_buffer to 131072 or even higher is not unreasonable.

Can any of the work be parallelized? In other words, are the 300 updates per second necessarily serial, done by one process? Or can the incoming data stream be split into multiple streams to be executed in parallel? If this is possible, then keeping different processes from trying to modify the same rows at the same time will be crucial, as will tuning Oracle to avoid contention on things like latches, rollback segments, etc.

I hope this helps...

   -Kevin J

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~ emergent: delivering scalable solutions ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kevin jernigan                                      415-567-8915 (p)