Config for SQL*Net V1 on NT?

From: Gus Teschke <gust_at_umich.edu>
Date: 1996/02/08

Does anyone know the details of how to configure SQL*Net V1 for Windows NT using TCP/IP?

I cannot connect to the NT database from another server. It times out after approximately 30 seconds with an ORA-6108. I can connect from the NT server to a Sun db via V1. We have several Sun and Novell servers, and all (still) run V1 without problems.

The NT box uses SQL*Net 1.1.9.0A with RDBMS 7.1.3.3.6 on NT 3.51. The Sun is running SQL*Net 1.2.7.8.1 with DB 7.1.4 on SunOS 4.1.3_U1.

Here's what I've done:

  • Installed the DB. It's running.
  • These services are running: OracleNMPListenerORCL OracleServiceORCL OracleTCPListener
  • Updated C:/winnt32/system32/drivers/hosts and services.
  • Can ping the NT box from the Sun.
  • Telnet works using this hosts file from NT console.
  • Using SQL*DBA or SQL*Plus on the NT box, I can connect to a Sun running 7.1.4.
  • From the NT console, can run SQL*Plus and connect to the NT server using named pipes.
  • From the NT console, Oracle's Nettest program cannot ping the NT server using V1 connect string _at_t:<server>:<SID>
  • Read Oracle's Problem Repository Entry sent by a Tech Support person. Not helpful.

 What I've not done:

  • Did not install SQL*Net V2 yet.
  • No DNS config on the NT box yet.
  • Gotten an answer from Oracle Tech Support yet.
  • Developed familiarity with NT.
  • Received a SQL*Net V1 for NT manual from our site license group yet.

Thanks for any help,

           Gus  Teschke
           gust_at_umich.edu