Re: OPS$ Help

From: Fernando Nantes <nantes_at_amix.com.br>
Date: 1996/02/08

Tom Cooke wrote:

> In article <4f4p3s$gmo_at_lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>, Charles Jardine
> <cj10_at_cam.ac.uk> writes
> >pallison_at_ppg.com wrote:
> >>I just did a user export from one instance and imported into another.
> >>The user ID is SFA and is identified externally.
> >>When I go into the new instance and try to select or even describe
> >>the tables, I get a table does not exist error. I am logged onto unix
> >>as SFA and OPS$SFA shows up in the v$session when I am on.
> >>SFA is the owner of the tables.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know why OPS$SFA can't see the table.
> >>
> >>In the old instance it can.
> >
> >Check the values of the INIT.ORA parameter OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX for
> >the two instances. I expect the old instance has is set to the
> >empty string (spelt ""), and the new instance has it defaulting to
> >OPS$.
> >
> Could it be more obvious than this? You have to export the table with
> grants, and import them. If you didn't have OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX set,
> OPS$<thing> wouldn't be able to log in at all.
> --
> Tom Cooke

It is possible that you have an Oracle user called SFA and another called OPS$SFA. If the import was made for the SFA user you have to explicitly connect as SFA to see the tables.

The setting of OS_AUTHENT_PREFIX will only define wich Oracle user will be implicitly connected when "connect /" is issued. For example:

OS user       OS_ATHENT_PREFIX    Oracle user
  SFA              ""               SFA
  SFA              "OPS$"           OPS$SFA

I hope this helps
Fernando Nantes. (nantes_at_amix.com.br) Received on Thu Feb 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message