Re: ORA-01000 - maximum open cursors exceeded

From: Robert Born <ststrmb_at_sugarland.unocal.com>
Date: 1996/02/07

We get this problem when a user is doing a delete on a table row that cascades to many other tables. Since it does not happen very often, we have not gone deeply into the cause other than previous open cursors for that user seem to hang around for a user. Even if that user logs out and back in again, that one user cannot execute the delete statement. Increasing our open cursors value did not help.

We do know the short term cure:

alter system flush shared_pool

works every time.