Re: ORA-01000 - maximum open cursors exceeded

From: Parris Geiser <parris_at_walleye.esp.bellcore.com>
Date: 1996/02/07

Chuck Hamilton (chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> I receive this error from time to time and am not sure what's causing
> it. I tried increasing the default setting from 50 to 100 for the open
> cursors parameter but it still happens, though less frequently.

> ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
> ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded

> What's causing it and how do I eliminate it?

> If a user breaks a query, or if a session get's killed while it's
> running a query; will that leave cursors open indefinitely?

> TIA

> --
> Chuck Hamilton
> chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

> Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!

Chuck,

	I too have seen this in our application.
	We are running HP-UX, ORACLE 7.1.6.
	It has happened once and the only thing that I could figure was it was
	caused by one of our long running servers core dumping.
	Haven't seen it since.
	But, in looking at the definition of OPEN_CURSORS, the ORACLE Administrators
	Guide says the following:
	"The maximum number of open cursors a single-user process can have at once."
	and it also says:
	...you can increase the number of cursors permitted for a session [with OPEN_CURSORS]
	The question is: is it per user or per session (i.e., transation)?

		parris geiser