Re: Oracle Forms performance w/ SLIP connection

From: S.Penter <sp_at_ascom.dk>
Date: 1996/02/07

Chris E. Haroian wrote:

> We are developing a system using Oracle Forms running on OpenVMS
> on a DEC Alpha Server 1000 4/233. Some of our users will be connecting
> with SLIP.
>
> I would be interested to hear about performance issues regarding
> Oracle Forms and SLIP from those who have this experience. Or, if you
> know of a resource for this information, it would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you in advance.
>
> --
> Chris Haroian - DRC
> charoian_at_s1.drc.com

One of our projects tried running on a low bandwith net (leased line 512Kbits/s) over which we ran TCP/IP, SQL*Net and Forms45 on local PC clients with the database on a RS/6000. This is not SLIP, I know, but even with a few users the word was that 'it's a drag'.

So, I think that if you plan to use SLIP connections (esp. low bandwith ones) - forget it! Or at least set up a pilot-test before you make any architectual decions.

Regards

Stefan Penter
Ascom Nordic A/S Received on Wed Feb 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message