Re: RAID-5 vs. Disk Mirroring

From: John Tibbitts <john_at_inlinecorp.com>
Date: 1996/02/07

As far as the log location, I would recommmend placing the log sperate from the main data.

We can provide multiple host channels or IDs in a single RAID subsystem, which would allow truly independent repositories. Each target has its own uniqute SCSI channel and ID and can consist of any portion of the total array capacity, and can be configured RAID 0,1,1+0,3,4 or 5.

For instance, on one array (Fluid Series2 FAR20-3C-R5) you can have the following:

  • 1 Array (20 GB user capacity)
  • 3 Channels (inputs channels) -each channel is an entirely seperate SCSI channel with it's own ID.
      1-RAID 1 (mirror) for system disk 2GB (2+2)
      1-RAID 0 (stripe only no parity)  6GB (2+2+2)
      1-RAID 5 8 GB                  (2+2+2+2+2(parity))

Since each of the individual RAID subsets appears as with its own ID, you can use them on seperate channels from the host or have each appear on a single channel as 3 different disks.

Please let me know if I can clarify this any further.

Thanks

JT

John Tibbitts | Authorized | INLINE Corporation john_at_inlinecorp.com | HARDWARE DEVELOPER |12110 Sunset Hills Rd

800.465.4637        |          &           |          Suite # 450
703.478.0800 main   |  SYSTEMS INTEGRATOR  |     Reston, Virginia
703.478.0966 fax    | For Silicon Graphics |            USA 22090

Hierarchical Storage Management /RAID/ Backup & Archive Solutions

		http://www.inlinecorp.com/inline

    "Enough with computers, where's my KX-250, my helmet and a
		     Supercross Track"  - JT    <><