Re: Installating 7.2.2.4 Sunday; General Questions

From: Leng Kaing <leng_at_cougar.vut.edu.au>
Date: 1996/02/06

Mirwais Qader (mqader_at_students.wisc.edu) wrote:
: I am hoping to Install it under the "BASE" installation to be able to
: update/migrate WITHOUT uninstalling the current version when future
: versions come in.

7.2.2 doesn't come with OFA. You'll have to set up OFA manually.

: 1. What is Distributed Space? Is that the space for the server
: software?

Can't remember this one. A lot depends on what options you choose to install.

: 2. What exactly is an sid? What should I be setting the
: environment variable ORACLE_SID to?

Yep. That's the one. In Unix, it should only be made up of 4 unique characters. Uppercase is recommended as some platforms that may talk to it does not honor case-sensitivity (eg: VMS). SID is System ID.

: 3. How would I get the installer to follow my BASE installation
: structure? How do I tell it that the database will be on
: disk vg00 while the server software is on disk vg01?

Software will go into ORACLE_HOME. So point ORACLE_HOME to vg01. To get database in vg00, you should change it when prompted by installer.

: If my directory structure is as shown above, do I have to LINK
: the db_name1 directory to /users/oracleDB (on the other disk)?

Not sure. Probably yes.

: Also, how do I distribute the LOG and REDO files across separate
: disks (if I wanted to)?

You'll be prompted by installer for location of each database files - control, redo, etc.

: 4. What is the TNS Listener? Do I need it? (I don't think I do!!)

No. A database can operate without tns. It's only need for client/server communication. Also, you must be licenced for it.

: 5. NETWORK Software:

: I know I have to install SQL*Net V2 with the TCP/IP Adapter, but
: WHY is TNS Listener listed with it?

It must listen for connections. It's all part of SQL*Net. See SQL*Net manuals.

: What is the MultiProtocol Interchange?

Allows TCP/IP adapter to talk to other adapters. eg: DEC*Net

: What's the Names Server?

A bit like Unix domain name server. Haven't played with it. So don't know much else. Look in SQL*Net guide.

: 6. Exactly what are the software components that I would NEED to
: install? If my tools are on the PCs, then some of these would be
: installed only on the PC, some on server, and some on both - I would
: think!

: - SQL*Net
: - SQL*Plus
: - SQL*DBA
: - SQL*Loader (what does this do?)

Loads various format files into db. eg: load ascii delimited text into your db.

: - Export
: - Import (isn't this SQL*Loader)

No. These are in binary format and allows oracle db to be ported from one platform to another or from one db to another. See Utilities Guide for full details.

: - Server Manager
: - Migration Tools

You need all of the above in the server. If you're not going to migrate from earlier versions of Oracle, you don't need Migration Tools.

: - EASY*SQL (What the heck is this?!)

I don't know either. Never used it. Never intends to either.

: - How is the FORMSGENERATOR different from FORMS?

Don't know.

: 7. What is a default small database size?
: (Oracle consultant told me 100MB, but ICG book says 21MB)

You can size it however you like when prompted by installer.

: 8. I am not installing the Online Documentation, but I will
: the Online Help. This is mainly because Help takes only
: 4.9 MB (according to ICG). IS THIS TRUE?

Don't know. I didn't install either.

--
Leng Kaing
DBA - Directory Technology P/L