Re: What's quicker, table to table insert or extract and sqlload?

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/02/05

In article <3110D6CD.68CE_at_archie.lanl.gov>

           fimad_at_archie.lanl.gov "Phil Fielder" writes:

> or
>
> 1) use the sqlplus copy command. You can set the parameter
> COPYCOMMIT to commit after x number of inserts therefore
> large rollback segments are not required. See the SQL*Plus Users
> Guide.
> This will also handle tables with LONG fields (see SET LONG param.).
> Only limitation is it requires SQL*Net.

We don't have SQL*Net installed at the moment, but I'll consider it! I've still to work out the database string for two local databases!

> 2) Imp/exp will allow you to import the table to a different user
> account with
> the same table name. This effectively produces a copy of the table.
> Should be relatively efficient.

Yes, looks like I should have created my duplicate as a different user!

> NOTE : According to _Oracle : The Complete Reference_ (Koch&Looney), the
> 'create table ... as select * from ...unrecoverable' option
> suggested by Mr. Chan will be the fastest since no redo log
> entries
> are generated. It makes no mention of rollback segments. I
> suspect
> that since this is a DDL and the operation cannot be rolled back,
> there is no use of rollback segments - any feedback on this ??

I've never heard of this option, looking forward to installing 7.2!

Thanks for your help,

Andy

--
Andy Hardy (Internet: aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk, CIS: 100015,2603)
PGP key available on request