Re: Low cost ORACLE development

From: Priyesh Patel <mercury_at_mail.bogo.co.uk>
Date: 1996/02/05

collier_at_mbnet.mb.ca (Jim Collier) wrote:
>From: collier_at_mbnet.mb.ca (Jim Collier)
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Low cost ORACLE development
>Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 21:38:33 GMT
>

>Hello
>
>My company is about to develop software for the ORACLE database system
>using Powerbuilder.
>
>The production database and the development computer systems are
>separate machines and are not co-located. The database server will be
>a Windows NT CPU running ORACLE Enterprise.
>
>The production application will require the replication features as
>well as the two phase commit features of ORACLE Enterprise.
>
>The cost of ORACLE Enterprise is very expensive for just two
>developers. What options are there to develop ORACLE applications
>as cheaply as possible and yet get it to work properly on the
>Enterprise environment?
>

>Jim Collier
>Winnipeg, Manitoba

Instead of installing Oracle on the NT server you could consider Personal Oracle 7 and install it on each of the development PCs. You would need to buy two for two developers. From a development point of view there should be no difference.

If you are not locked into Powerbuilder then have you consider Delphi?

Priyesh Patel

Mer Curie Software Received on Mon Feb 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message