Re: Installating 7.2.2.4 Sunday; General Questions

From: Richard Johnson <richj_at_iquest.com>
Date: 1996/02/04

In article <4eqee4$lbi_at_news.doit.wisc.edu>, mqader_at_students.wisc.edu says...

>We are going to install our 7.2.2.4 Oracle on Sunday. Some questions I
>want to straighten out before we go ahead with it.
>(We have never had ORACLE nor installed it!)
>
>Installing on HP9000; HP-UX 9.04; 256MB RAM;
> 350MB space on 1 disk: /users
> 244MB space on another disk: /oracleDB
> 8-concurrent user system (to be expanded to 16, then 40 in
> next 3 years).
>
> Client-Based Installation: Server will only have database,
> tools (Developer/Discoverer 2000) will be on clients (PCs).
>
>System Administer wants to install on: /users/orahome
>Want to put database on: /oracleDB
>
>I am hoping to Install it under the "BASE" installation to be able to
>update/migrate WITHOUT uninstalling the current version when future
>versions come in.
>
>BASE INSTALLATION DIRECTORIES:
>
> ORACLE_BASE
>
> PRODUCT
> 7.2.2.4
> ADMIN
> db_name1
> files
> DATA
> db_name1
> log etc. files
> LOCAL
>
> TAR
>
>1. What is Distributed Space? Is that the space for the server
> software?

I would guess so. My recent install of this version took up about 300Mb of space.

>2. What exactly is an sid? What should I be setting the
> environment variable ORACLE_SID to?

This describes to the sytem which oracle instance to use. To avoid confusion, I use sid's to match my database names. This variable in combination with ORACLE_HOME uniquely identifies a database and instance of the oracle software.

>3. How would I get the installer to follow my BASE installation
> structure? How do I tell it that the database will be on
> disk vg00 while the server software is on disk vg01?

Location of the server software is controlled with ORACLE_HOME environment variable, and it picks the subdirectory structure to use under that. Location of each of the components of your database is controlled when you create the database, or can be changed later although the procedure is a little hairy.

> If my directory structure is as shown above, do I have to LINK
> the db_name1 directory to /users/oracleDB (on the other disk)?

To do exactly as above, then probably so. I usually put my data files in separate partitions (or logical volumes), and mount them into my directory structure as desired. If /users/oracleDB is not a separate partition (or logical volume), then you will have to link it to call it something different.

> Also, how do I distribute the LOG and REDO files across
 separate
> disks (if I wanted to)?

Again, all data files, logs, and control file locations are controlled at database create time, and can be changed later.

>4. What is the TNS Listener? Do I need it? (I don't think I do!!)

This enables the use of SQL*Net from a remote host.

>5. NETWORK Software:
>
> I know I have to install SQL*Net V2 with the TCP/IP Adapter,
 but
> WHY is TNS Listener listed with it?

See above.

> What is the MultiProtocol Interchange?

Don't know, don't use it.

> What's the Names Server?

Ditto.

>6. Exactly what are the software components that I would NEED to
> install? If my tools are on the PCs, then some of these would
 be
> installed only on the PC, some on server, and some on both - I
 would
> think!
>
> - SQL*Net
> - SQL*Plus
> - SQL*DBA
> - SQL*Loader (what does this do?)
> - Export
> - Import (isn't this SQL*Loader)
> - Server Manager
> - Migration Tools
> - EASY*SQL (What the heck is this?!)
>
> - How is the FORMSGENERATOR different from FORMS?

I would install the RDBMS, SQL*Net, TCP/IP Protocol Adapter, SQL*Plus, procedural option, distributed database option, and any of the tools like forms, menus, report writer that you wish to use on the server.

>7. What is a default small database size?
>
> (Oracle consultant told me 100MB, but ICG book says 21MB)

Coming up with a database that is not at least 40-60 Mb will be difficult. I like to leave plenty of room... Databases have a way of growing on you.

>8. I am not installing the Online Documentation, but I will
> the Online Help. This is mainly because Help takes only
> 4.9 MB (according to ICG). IS THIS TRUE?

I think that I installed the online help, and it was not all that large, but the online documentation was going to be HUGE.

>YOU WILL BE REGARDED AS A GOD IF YOU ARE SO KIND TO RESPOND!
>Thanks in advance - Mir

Your welcome,

Rich
richj_at_iquest.com Received on Sun Feb 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message