Re: Oracle performance

From: Rob Young <young_r_at_eisner.decus.org>
Date: 1996/02/02

In article <4erkvt$cg1_at_news.cais.com>, csinche_at_ahoynet.com (Charles Sinche) writes:
> While a multi processor ALPHA may give the fastest throughput, it isn't always a
> "political sell" in business environments. Since current applications are
> running on a VAX 8000 series ther are many improvements possible. Does anyone
> have any performance numbers, or strong opinions, on Oracle on an SMP INTEL box
> (pentium Pro 200 MHZ, 2 processor, 512 Mb RAM, SCSI3 disks, WIN NT) versus an
> ALPHA 2100 series with 2 processors, 512 Mb etc. also running NT?

	Yeah, rather sad when management looks at that klunky
	old VAX 8000 and concludes that Digital has doggy machines.

	You know what you should do for punishment?  You should snag
	that Pentium PC off of their desk and replace it with a 286.
	After all, a 286 at one time was the top of the line, remember?

	Very hard to reason with people with blinders.  However, if you
	are willing to do a little running around you can visit
	http://www.digital.com and look at performance stuff.  In particular:

		http://www.digital.com/.i/info/alphaserver

	narrowing that further:

	http://www.digital.com/.i/info/alphaserver/alphasrv2100_abstract.html

	be aware that URLs change so /info/alphaserver may be a good
	starting point.

	Also,
	Digital recently bested Compaq with TPC-C numbers on NT dropping
	below $200 per tpmC (look at recent press releases on www.digital).

	Personally, why not run Digital UNIX?  For future growth you
	could pop 4 Gigabytes of memory in there and do Very Large
	Memory on the 2100.  Of course, cost may be a consideration ;-)

	If you don't have Web access, drop me a line and I am willing
	to do *some* of the leg work for you.

					Rob