tkprof and tuning question

From: Bill F. Schuyler <wfs21_at_cas.org>
Date: 1996/02/02

Posting this on behalf of a developer, thanks for any help!

In Appendix B (Pg B 5 ) of the Application Devloper's Guide, there is a list of parameters that are available from tkprof. Three are of interest to I/O performance which are as follows

EXEDSK - physical reads
EXEQRY - consistent mode block reads
EXECU - current mode block reads

The first one is obvious but what happens within Oracle relative to objects (ie. SGA, rollback segs, etc.) to generate the second two? In the Admin Guide (PG 21-17) it also talks about "db block gets" and "consistent gets" but they are not defined. I believe that these may be the same two parameters of interest above. The point here is "how can you optimize something you can't define?"

--
INTERNET:   wschuyler_at_cas.org

"Of course it's legal. Revolution is always legal in the first person, such as 'our' rebellion. It's only in the third person, as in 'their' rebellion that it becomes illegal." - Ben Franklin from "1776"