Re: Power Objects Repeater Frames

From: Michael Kranzdorf <mikek_at_krt.com>
Date: 1996/02/02

> >> How do you make check boxes on the outside of repeater frames scroll
 in
> >> synch with the data contained by the repeater frame? Any suggestions
> >> are welcome.
> >
> >Why don't you put them in the repeater?
>
> In order to put them in the repeater, they have to be a field in the
> source table. This causes updates to the check boxes to be too slow
> because the table has to be queried in order to determine the status of
> the check boxes. Any other ideas?

Are these checkboxes supposed to reflect data in the database? If so, you would need to query the table whether they are in the repeater or not. If it's in the same table as the rest of the repeater data, that's not really any extra query cost, so from your answer I assume that's not the case here.

Not everything in a repeater must exist in the source table - you can put anything you want in there, including an unbound checkbox, probably with some code in places like InsertRow, PostChange or Validate. You can even refer to this checkbox from the repeater's ValidateRow method. (You can also get to it from anywhere else using repeater.GetRecordSet, but there are tricks to it, so let me know if you need that.*)

But this is the same as my last attempt at an answer, so maybe I'm still missing something. Please tell me more if this doesn't help,

  • [The abridged version - use checkbox.OnLoad to set a user variable in the repeater to self.GetBindColumn. Then you can use that to get to the column values since you can't refer to unbound columns by name.]
Michael Kranzdorf                                    mikek_at_krt.com
Kranzco Realty Trust       http://www.krt.com         610.941.9292