Re: Distribution of datafiles over disks vs. striped volume

From: <gsalem_at_fr.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/02/02

dlincke_at_bandon.unisg.ch (David-Michael Lincke) wrote:
>We are planning on installing Oracle 7.2.2 on a HP9000 K200 dual processor
>machine. The machine is currently equipped with three disk in an LVM
>(logical volume manager) configuration.
>There's 2 ways we could distribute datafiles/tablespaces over the disks.
>Either we explicitly put different tablespaces on different logical volumes
>that reside on different disks, or we create a new logical volume striped
>over all 3 disks especially for oracle datafiles and place all datafiles in
>there.
>Hans anyone ever done any performance comparisons concerning those 2
>configurations? Any recommendations are appreciated.
>
>HP-UX 10.01 stripes are 4MB in size each..in case that matters.

dave,
I did a bench like the one you're asking about (but on a DEC alpha), the stripped disks performed better. But the catch is that the system i was benching uses some external files (besides Oracle), and I could not control their placement. So, If you can control the placement of your tables and files in order to more evenly distribute your accesses, then it may be better to do it manually and not stripe the disks. But stripping worked for me.
ghs Received on Fri Feb 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message