Installating 7.2.2.4 Sunday; General Questions

From: Mirwais Qader <mqader_at_students.wisc.edu>
Date: 1996/02/01

We are going to install our 7.2.2.4 Oracle on Sunday. Some questions I want to straighten out before we go ahead with it. (We have never had ORACLE nor installed it!)

Installing on HP9000; HP-UX 9.04; 256MB RAM;

 	350MB space on 1 disk: /users
	244MB space on another disk:  /oracleDB
	8-concurrent user system (to be expanded to 16, then 40 in
	next 3 years).

	Client-Based Installation:  Server will only have database,
	tools (Developer/Discoverer 2000) will be on clients (PCs).

System Administer wants to install on:	  /users/orahome
Want to put database on:		  /oracleDB

I am hoping to Install it under the "BASE" installation to be able to update/migrate WITHOUT uninstalling the current version when future versions come in.

BASE INSTALLATION DIRECTORIES:         ORACLE_BASE

		PRODUCT
			7.2.2.4
		ADMIN
			db_name1
				files
		DATA
			db_name1
				log etc. files
		LOCAL

		TAR

1.  	What is Distributed Space?   Is that the space for the server
	software?

2.	What exactly is an sid?  What should I be setting the
	environment variable ORACLE_SID to?

3.	How would I get the installer to follow my BASE installation
	structure?  How do I tell it that the database will be on
	disk vg00 while the server software is on disk vg01?

	If my directory structure is as shown above, do I have to LINK
	the db_name1 directory to /users/oracleDB (on the other disk)?

	Also, how do I distribute the LOG and REDO files across separate
	disks (if I wanted to)?

4.	What is the TNS Listener?  Do I need it? (I don't think I do!!)

5.	NETWORK Software:

	I know I have to install SQL*Net V2 with the TCP/IP Adapter, but
	WHY is TNS Listener listed with it?

	What is the MultiProtocol Interchange?

	What's the Names Server?

6.	Exactly what are the software components that I would NEED to
	install?  If my tools are on the PCs, then some of these would be
	installed only on the PC, some on server, and some on both - I would
	think!

- SQL*Net
- SQL*Plus
- SQL*DBA
- SQL*Loader (what does this do?)
- Export
- Import (isn't this SQL*Loader)
- Server Manager
- Migration Tools
- EASY*SQL (What the heck is this?!)

- How is the FORMSGENERATOR different from FORMS?
7. What is a default small database size? (Oracle consultant told me 100MB, but ICG book says 21MB) 8. I am not installing the Online Documentation, but I will the Online Help. This is mainly because Help takes only 4.9 MB (according to ICG). IS THIS TRUE?

YOU WILL BE REGARDED AS A GOD IF YOU ARE SO KIND TO RESPOND! Thanks in advance - Mir Received on Thu Feb 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message