Re: Performance problems with distributed queries with table joins.

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1996/02/01

On 30 Jan 1996 kirkcw_at_datanet.ab.ca wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has found performance problems with distributed
> queries with table joins. The local Oracle database is running
> server 7.0.16 and SQL*Net is version 1 on a SUN. The remote database is
> version 7.0.16 and is also running SQL*NET version 1, but is on an HP.

I have a TAR opened with support right now regarding FTS instead of index reads on 7.0.16. Doesn't have to be a distributed database. It doesn't always generate the same explain plan for identical statements. Sometimes the execution plan is truly bizairre.

Also, use of the UNION operator appears to really mess up both the CBO and RBO on 7.0.16.

I was going to move up to 7.2.2.3 but was advised yesterday by a friend in Oracle World Wide Support that they have an internal recommendation to avoid all releases of 7.2!

Anybody know a good version using either the CBO or RBO? When is 7.3 for the AIX going to be out? Several bug notes indicate they are fixed in 7.3.

--Steve

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Thu Feb 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message