Re: Challenge: The Best Database Program?

From: Trevor Best <trevor_at_microprism.com>
Date: 1996/02/01

On 31 Jan 1996 21:02:47 GMT in comp.databases.ms-access, lazore_at_csos.orst.edu (Edward E. Lazor) wrote:

>I dunno if I'm opening up a can of worms or what but I figured I'd go
>for it anyways...

>which do you guys feel is the best database program and why?

The best in terms of what? functionality?, security? ease of use? development times?

I use both DataEase for Dos and Access, neither poses much threat to a SQL server in terms of security or robustness, I can whack out an application in DataEase in double quick time, it'll take longer in Access but then Access will be more functional in what it can do in the long run.
E.g. In DataEase, you can Query by Form by pressing Alt+F5 then typing any criteria into any field and start searching. To do this in Access I'd have to do some programming but I can make it a lot more fancy like displaying the results in a combo or list box so the user can jump to a specific record in the search. Neither of them solve my requirement for boxing out a purchase order or invoice format without much buggering about though.

I'd reccmomend you define what you want to do before choosing the tool to do it with as none will be best at everything. On the mechanical area of my Pc, my favorite tool is a chubby cross head screwdriver, but I wouldn't want to prize out any simms with it.

                    \|||/
                    /   \
                   C o o D
10 Gosub 10

trevor_at_microprism.com - Microprism (UK) Limited Received on Thu Feb 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message