Re: Need Input on Parallel Server

From: Yuk Hon Johnny Chan <jychan_at_corp.hp.com>
Date: 1996/02/01

BBAP (bbap_at_aol.com) wrote:
: We are considering using Parallel Server option for a large database with
: a very high transaction rate. We estimate that our (RAID 0+1) database
: will be about 50 - 70 Gb, and our transaction rate will be over 100 tps.

: We are looking at SUN PDB servers, and would like to get some input on
: experience people have with the parallel option.

: How stable, how easy to maintain, how is support, what problems have shown
: up, where are the limitations, etc.

: I appreciate your input...

Your questions on general supportability, robustness, and stability is very dependent on the hardware vendor you decide to go with in implementing OPS, since a very key component of OPS is the o/s distributed lock manager (DLM) which almost always is written not by Oracle but the hardware vendor. I have worked with OPS on Sequents on several client sites and have found them to be very close in stability to running single instance Oracle, while providing very good application throughput scalability. I think the fact that Sequent has been doing OPS and clusters since v6.2 over 4 years ago has given Sequent a strong edge on the learning curve.

I believe Sun's cluster software is fairly new...something to keep in mind.

Johnny Chan

ps - the opinions are my own and do not represent those of my current

     client, HP. Received on Thu Feb 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message