Re: Hardware for Oracle

From: Harrison Picot <harrison_at_cais2.cais.com>
Date: 1996/02/01

>>Francis Man (fman_at_allmalt.cs.uwm.edu) wrote:
>>> Just wonder what platform and OS will Oracle

>>> perform the best for client/server apps??

>>> Also what development env and tools too?

On the off chance that money is an object, anything from a 486DX66 to an Asus dual Pentium running UnixWare makes a fine platform for development, and it can easily be upgraded to run as a server. In the server end, the Pentium boxes are better, not only on the processor end, but certainly on the PCI bus end. Of course, if you have more than clone money, an ALR in the $8,000 range is mighty substantial box. While 400 Mhz boxes are ni$e, lot's of "old" Sequents are still running 4 386/25 CPU's to good effect (but with 100Mhz busses). Of course, UnixWare on a Compaq Proliant is the value leader for latest series of tests by Oracle/Compaq. I think it was $189, but it could have been $169. Anyway, those numbers don't relate much to your situation (unless you DO have $600,000 to spend;-)

harrison

--
Harrison Picot      *  1995: Bill Gates asks congress to allow immigration
harrison_at_cais.com   *  of 140,000 programmers/yr.  Congress agrees; held  0