Re: Challenge: The Best Database Program?

From: Sundial Services <sundial_at_primenet.com>
Date: 1996/01/31

In article <4eoldn$eg2_at_news.proaxis.com> lazore_at_csos.orst.edu (Edward E. Lazor) writes:

>I dunno if I'm opening up a can of worms or what but I figured I'd go
>for it anyways...

>which do you guys feel is the best database program and why?

I'm sorry to lay a wet blanket upon this flame-war invitation, but my response to all such questions is ... "for what?"

If you compare the various databases to whose newsgroups this message is posted, you will notice that ALL of them are well-respected products which have earned millions for their developers... ALL of them are widely used... and ALL of them represent different philosophies, audiences, and intended user groups.

Perhaps this suggests that there IS no "best." Of the products WE use every day, namely "Access, Paradox, and Delphi," there is certainly no "best." It would be nice, in some way, if there were one and only-one product that we could focus on at the exclusion of all others, but that has never happened and I doubt it ever will. The first and most fundamental task that every designer must do is to decide WHICH product to use, and it is always (in spite of what the respective marketroids might say) a complex, compromise-laden decision.

But hey... I'm blanketing a flame-war here! And gosh, those are entertaining diversions, aren't they? ;-) Let the flames begin! :-)

-Mike Robinson
 Sundial Services, Scottsdale AZ (602) 946-8259; fax 874-2068  sundial_at_primenet.com
 info_at_sundialservices.com Received on Wed Jan 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message