Re: When to Create Database vs Schema only !!!

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corp. <bmanry_at_ibmgate-aix.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/01/31

bigwave (bigwave_at_primenet.com) wrote:
>Question... I have an option to just generate a schema owned by xxx
>or an entire CREATE DATABASE xxx ,,,, what are the reasons
>for/against the need to create a DATABASE. In other words, what
>reasons drive the need to create a separate Database? Reduce load on
>engine, recovery, resource availability ??
>I have a stronger background in DB2 mainframe than Oracle and am in
>transition (first year) to Oracle environment.

You probably want a schema. Note that an Oracle database equates more to an entire DB2/MVS subsystem (or, more correctly, to the collection of databases managed by one DB2 subsystem). There are situations where you might want to create a separate database (such as segregation of testing and production workloads) but not necessarily just to add a new application and its related objects.

As pointed out in another post, the common unit of backup/recovery in Oracle is the tablespace. You can create a specific tablespace for your schema (see CREATE TABLESPACE in doc) or define the schema in an existing tablespace.

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
Standard disclaimer applies.