Re: When to Create Database vs Schema only !!!

From: ddh <ddh_at_ev.state.az.us>
Date: 1996/01/31

According to "Oracle DBA Handbook" pg 11 by Loney; a schema is a set of objects owned by a user account. So a schema can be a collection of all objects generated (owned) by a user, whether fictitious or not. Issue is, should systems be separated into independent databases as one may do for a typical IBM DB2 environment, or does the Oracle environment prefer consolidation of systems into unbrella databases as a more efficient means of resource utilization, etc. What are the issues. As an Oracle DBA, (rather than DB2) when should I decide to generate (CREATE) a new DB rather than schema-tize (CREATE SCHEMA) an application's data model. Typically, if I model a system, I will generate a database to reflect that model. I see I have an option with oracle to generate a schema.

Bigwave 1-30-1996 Received on Wed Jan 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message