Re: Why is it so difficult to shutdown Oracle?

From: Paul Tuckfield <c11533_at_detroitedison.com>
Date: 1996/01/31

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Renato Brazioli wrote:

> SHUTDOWN NORMAL --> wait for all users to disconnect
> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE --> disconnect al users, rollback all pending
> transactions

	.
	.

> SHUTDOWN ABORT --> shutdown the server, all pending transactions
> will
> be rolled back when the server will be started
> again
>
> They are all safe. The first one ensures that all transactions complete
>. It depends when you want to wait, at shutdown time or

> startup time.

I didn't see the original post, so this might not matter but . . .

I thought one distinction between shutdown abort vs. normal or immediate was that a archive log mode database should not be cold-backed-up after an abort, only after an immediate or or normal shutdown.

As I understand, it is not possible to roll forward from a cold backup of an inconsistent (i.e. pending transactions exist in datafiles/redo logs/rollbacks) database. A databsae that is shutdown abort can (always ?) have this condition.

true?