Re: Why is it so difficult to shutdown Oracle?

From: pat palguta <pat.palguta_at_daytonoh.ncr.com>
Date: 1996/01/31

==========Antony Sampson, 1/29/96==========

smushran_at_us.oracle.com (Sunil Mushran) wrote:

>lunch_at_ix.netcom.com(Arthur Chung ) wrote:

>> We are running Oracle 7.1.6 on Sun Sparc1000 with various front-ends
>> (Gupta/Business Objects) and I'm very puzzled with the shutdown
>> mechanism of Oracle.

>> Our DBA consultant(who does get fat check) tells us that,
>> 'shutdown normal or immediate' only kills the processes
>> locally connected.
>> But since most of our users are accessing Oracle through the PC
>> front-end progs. we have mostly 'non-local' connections.

>> And since these 'non-local' connection won't die out when we use
>> 'shutdown normal or immediate', dba created a sql script that
>> generates the session-id of all the connection
>> by querying v$session table.
>>
>> And then, we are using those session-id to disconnect each session
>> that are connected from PC. (ie, alter system kill session '11,555')
>> Sounds complicated?... I think so.

>> Is this the right way to do shutdown in client-server environment?
>> Is there a better way to shutdown the Oracle while many sessions are
>> opened from PC?

>> Many thanks in advance.
>> -Arthur

>Strange.... At least on Desktop Servers (NetWare et al), SHUTDOWN
>IMMEDIATE kills all the shadow processes (i.e. both local and remote
>connections).

>sm

Under nt, vms, dos and unix shutdown immediate does rollback all active transactions, whether remote or local. The instance may need recovery thereafter, but it sure shuts down ok.

Don't believe your dba, but your server administrator's guide can generally be trusted at least as far as you can throw it (about 14 meters when I'm properly motivated). See section 3-11

cheers,

Tony Sampson
DBA/software terrorist, South Australian Government Financing Authority sampson_at_dtf.sa.gov.au
                   The unnatural, that too is natural.
                                  Goethe
Believe your DBA. We're experiencing the same problem on AT&T system 3550's and 3400's (Unix OS). It happens with all versions of the RDBMS that we've run (7.0.15, 7.1.4, etc.) with SQL*Net 1, 2.0, and 2.1. Received on Wed Jan 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message