Re: Why is it so difficult to shutdown Oracle?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/01/30

In article <4e5knd$hd5_at_caesar.ultra.net> rblizard_at_bb.cmcsys.com (Bob Blizard) writes:
>WHOA! Shutdown Abort will indeed kill those sessions immediately, but
>it will also kill the instance immediately, including leaving
>uncommitted transactions hanging in the redo log, and so on. You will
>have to do instance recovery the next time you start Oracle (it does
>this automatically). Although this usually works, it is a _bad_ idea.
>Save abort for situations where you really truly can't wait to shut
>down in an orderly fashion.
>
>SHUTDOWN NORMAL prevents new transactions from beginning, waits
>politely for all uncommitted transactions to finish, and then shuts
>the database down.
>
>SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE prevents new transactions from beginning, and
>forces rollbacks on all uncommitted transactions. Then it suts down
>the database. As a result, 'immediate' does not mean 'instant', but
>'start right now'.
>
>You can wait at the shutdown end (shutdown immediate), or wait at the
>startup end (shutdown abort), but no matter what, you will have to
>wait for uncommitted transactions to be rolled back. It is generally
>better to do it right than do it fast.

So why doesn't Oracle do it right? I wait forever (or at least I went home one night, next morning still waiting), never shuts down normal, unless I have not done any transactions at all. In practice, on this one database, it means shutdown abort, restart, shutdown normal. hp-ux 9.0, Oracle 7.0.16.4. It seems to be since I did this gigantic transaction. That table now has no records in it. Any ideas? This database doesn't get many transactions. Every so often I forget, do a shutdown -r, then get mad when I realize it isn't going to happen, solely because of oracle.

jg

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>