Re: Rift between Oracle and IOUG - who benefits?

From: Dave Jordan <jordan_at_pt5026.pto.ford.com>
Date: 1996/01/29

In article <4e850f$ei1$1_at_mhafn.production.compuserve.com>, Paul Collins <76004.2053_at_CompuServe.COM> writes:
> For complete information you should get on the IOUG forum on
> CompuServe. They have explained what is going on more completely.
> Oracle was really trying to take control of the IOUW back from
> the User Group. They also wanted the IOUG to turn over the
> Tradmark IOUW to Oracle.
>
> --
> Paul Collins
> DBA
> DATASTORM Technologies

I can't support Oracle taking control of the IOUG because it is a USERS group. That's like turning control of a union over to the company. I can't see why Oracle should be afraid of an independant user group, but then I don't have access to Compuserve. Could someone post a synopsis of IOUG's position? I'd like to know what issues caused the split.

There is no possibility of my attending both conferences, and I may find a difficult time justifying either if they have only half of the value that the combined conference had. Without Oracle the IOUW will be fairly weak for me, but I wonder how much marketing will control an Oracle run conference. While the individual presentors from Oracle were very good, I found the big sessions to be heavy on the marketing and very light on usefull information. Without the IOUG to keep a lid on the glitz I'm afraid that it will dominate.

David Jordan
DBA
Ford Motor Company Received on Mon Jan 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message