Re: Power Objects Reports

From: Tom Cooke <Tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/01/28

In article <4cjelj$n92_at_nntp.interaccess.com> sista_at_links.com "Kasu Sista" writes:

> Mike Cooper <100256.603_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to order the detail records in a PO report.
> >The PO Developers Handbook avoids the subject (look closely at
> >the example report output - its not sorted).
>
> Unfortunately the report writer at this point is very limited. All
> you have is the groupcol to sort. If you want anything else at all you
> have to use a view. You could use a temporary table and populate it
> just before you run the report.

Sorry to be dense, but how do views help you with the order of data? I know you can use them to join tables and select different columns, and/or limit the set of rows you get, but even if you've got a view, you still have to order the results whichever way you want when you actually query it? I too am having trouble with a report in Power Objects; the manual says that reports are ordered by default by the primary key, and this seems *not* to work - I have a table in Blaze in which the "default" order is wrong (i.e. I loaded the data into a PO7 table in the right order, then Alt-dragged the table to Blaze, and it has moved the data around in about one hundred-row blocks...). Help!

--
Tom Cooke

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever
 believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
                                                           John 3:16