Re: Oracle 7.2 on an aix box - printf and dbx don't work

From: Henri M.B. van den Bulk <hvdbulk_at_lgc.com>
Date: 1996/01/28

Jeff Farquharson wrote:

> I recently installed Oracle 7.2 on an aix 4.1 box. I am planning to
> implement several Pro*C programs, however I am having a couple of
> problems my prototype program.
>
> First, text printed with printf does not appear on the screen (even
> with fflush(stdout) ). Non-Pro*C programs work fine, but programs
> compiled with the proc.mk makefile that is supplied with Oracle do
> not.
>
> And second, when I single step through the program in dbx the program
> statements appear to execute out of order. I am sure the program is
> executing correctly and that somehow dbx is out of sync with the
> source file. I do know that it is using the most currect source and I
> have added the -g option to the compiler options in proc.mk.
>
> I have seen the dbx problem on an aix box before, but never the printf
> problem. I am sure that I am not the first to have these problems.
> Have I done something wrong or this an IBMism? Any ideas or solutions
> would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen this problem before, but it's not directly a Pro*C problem. It looks like you are compiling with xlC or cc. These compilers still have problems(bug) with there optimizer. Do not compile with the optimizer flag set or disable all optimisation.

Use the flag -qnooptimize

Hope this helps..

--
 Henri M.B. van den Bulk