Re: Hardware for Oracle

From: Robert Hatcher <robert.hatcher_at_citicorp.com>
Date: 1996/01/25

Francis Man (fman_at_allmalt.cs.uwm.edu) wrote:
: Just wonder what platform and OS will Oracle

: perform the best for client/server apps??

: Also what development env and tools too?

: --

That question is about as bad as asking which religion is best. Everyone has their own opinion. We run our apps on RISC workstations (IBM and HP), using the appropriate UNIX for each under X-Windows. We are very happy with the performance and support with both, but of the two, I prefer the IBM (mainly do to some of the OS support utilities and the relatively mature logical volume manager.) I have also managed environments run on Sun Microsystems machines, but that was in the pre-Solaris days, so, while I was happy with the systems then, I don't know a whole lot about OS support or performance on today's machines. I have yet to find a single processor Intel solution (any OS) that compares with what I get in the RISC environments. Received on Thu Jan 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message