Re: Can I Assign Execute Any Procedure to a Role in 7.2?

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/01/25

<machl001_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:

>I know that in earlier versions it was not possible to assign the
>execute any procedure privilege to a role. Can anyone tell me
>conclusively if it is now possible in release 7.2 or 7.3?

It is the case that you can assign execute any procedure to a role. DBA, for example, is simply a role in Oracle. DBA has "execute any procedure" granted to it. If you look at the priveleges sys or system have, you will see they have "dba, exp_full_database, imp_full_database, and connect". Yet they can execute any procedure.

The following session log (from 7.1.3) shows how you can see this work:

SQL> create role eap_cs;
Role created.

SQL> grant execute any procedure, create session to eap_cs; Grant succeeded.

SQL> create user x identified by x;
User created.

SQL> grant eap_cs to x;
Grant succeeded.

SQL> create or replace procedure hello as begin dbms_output.put_line('hello');   2 end;
  3 /
Procedure created.

SQL> connect x/x
Connected.
SQL> exec system.hello

SQL> set serveroutput on
SQL> exec system.hello
hello

It still works in 7.2 and 7.3 as well.

>Thanks in advance

>Cherie

>Cherie Machler
>machl001_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government Received on Thu Jan 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message