Re: C or Perl? Which is the better script language? (Formely:Re: Delphi Dusts Visual Basic)

From: Alvin Leung <alvin_at_top.cis.syr.edu>
Date: 1996/01/25

In article <3104fbec.87805504_at_newshost.us.oracle.com>, joshaugh_at_uk.oracle.com (Jamie O'Shaughnessy) writes:

|> >Perl rules, of course. And C is not a scripting language. So, can't
|> >compare. After I learned perl, I told my boss that in the future, 80%
|> >of what we are doing in C can be done in perl (with much less effort)
|> >and the rest 20% moves to C++.
|> >

|> I've just started learning and using perl in the last few months and it is an
|> essential tool for programmers in my opinion. I've been using Perl 5.001 on NT
|> (from hipsters), it's free, easy to install and use. You can even use it for OLE
|> automation! as well as coping with NT specific things such as the registry,
|> event logs, etc.
|>
|> I don't know about dropping C altogether in favour of perl and C++. I much
|> prefer using C++ to C but as usual, everything has a place and that includes C,
|> C++ and perl.
|>
|> Jamie
|> ==============================================================================
|> Jamie O'Shaughnessy Work Internet: joshaugh_at_uk.oracle.com
|> Designer/2000 Forms Generator Team Home Internet: jamie_at_thanatar.demon.co.uk
|> Oracle Park Oracle Office: joshaugh.uk
|> Bittams Lane, Guildford Road Phone : (44) 01932 872020 ext 2298
|> Chertsey, Surrey, KT16 9RG Fax : (44) 01932 873273
|> The opinions expressed here are my own and do not
|> in any way represent Oracle or its policies.

   Java all the way!!
   My advasor said perl can be used to make quick prototype. However, perl have nothing like C, except some keywords, so you have to rewrite the project in C. Now, your prototype looks nothing like your production code. I said it is a proof of concept tools.

   C++ is a junk yard of Object-oriented programing and C. You find bits and parts of the features you needed, but never the full features.

--
Alvin - a devil with shades
mailto:alvin_at_nova.npac.syr.edu