Re: ORACLE 7.2.2.4 Installation Help

From: Jim Olsen <jolsen_at_atl.mindspring.com>
Date: 1996/01/23

mqader_at_students.wisc.edu (Mirwais Qader) wrote:

>We have just recently purchased the ORACLE software product with Developer
>2000, Discoverer 2000. We are installing it on an HP9000 running HP-UX 9.04.

>What are some problems I should be aware of?

>1) -Do I need to bring UNIX down to a single user to Install? [So we
> can install from the main console only?]

> -Is this necessary everytime an update or upgrade of some tiny
> software is made too?

No, You do not need to bring unix to single user to install.

>2) -All of my semaphores and device I/O and other 'minimum' requirements
> suggested in the installation book are already fine on the system.
> How much additional 'messing' around do I need to do to get it
> installed? I would rather not touch these until later because we
> have an installation package from ORACLE. We are mainly trying to
> 'learn' the system so that when we go to training, etc. We have a
> good idea of what we are dealing with (terminology, environment,
> etc...).

> I am mainly concerned about the UNIX! If Oracle does not get
> installed properly - no problem, BUT if in the process, I lose UNIX,
> then BIG PROBLEM (possibly, if I can't get it back by the next day).

> I have also heard that you have to assign specific chunks of your
> memory to Oracle. Does this mean no other software can use it at
> all? How would one go about doing that exactly?

You should not have any impacts on unix. Boosting up the shared memory and semaphore parameters may help with respect to your application, but it is hard to say without looking at exactly what you are doing.

You do assign chunks of memory for oracle use. It is shared memory however, and if other applications are requesting it you will start paging. The big impact here is that the whole oracle SGA will be swappped out at once - not just a portion of it.

>3) We are not using X-Windows, but the requirements state that Motif and
> X11R5 should be running. X11R5 is running, but no Motif. Does this
> mean we can't use our Emulators: Hummingbird and Reflection? Do we
> have to use Oracle in a command line mode environment? {Discoverer
> and Developer are both the PC-Windows based versions}

???

>4) I have about 320MB of HD space on one disk to assign to the server
> and its related software. Is this enough? Developer will be
>installed on a PC, Discoverer on PCs. {Client-Installation}

You will be pushing it. You will need all of the oracle server, SQL*NET, and pro*C. The platform specific install guide has exact disk requirements for the different products.

>5) We also purchased Pro*C. We have the HP C compiler A.09.77. Pro*C
> requires an ANSI C compiler. The HP C can generate ANSI C Code with
> the -Aa option. Is this good enough or do we need to get another
> compiler?

Your C compiler is fine.

>If anyone could help I WOULD APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH!!! Mainly I am
>concerned about UNIX. I don't want to set some parameters to something that
>I can't fix back, re-link the Kernel, reboot and get stuck needing HP
>technical support to come and fix it and lose days to a week of work!!

>Thanks. mqader_at_students.wisc.edu

jolsen_at_mindspring.com
jolsen_at_equifax.com Received on Tue Jan 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message