Re: Connecting to Oracle via ODBC and MS Access

From: <deangup_at_admin.ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: 1996/01/23

> Chris Little <chris.little_at_cho.ge.com> writes:
 ..
> Does anyone know how I can allow the users to use MS Access in
> readonly mode. I could give them a "readonly" Oracle account,
> but they still have their personal Oracle accounts for running
> the third party application described above.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

> cHRIS lITTLE, oRACLE dba & sap bASIS aDMIN.
> ge fANUC aUTOMATION, cHARLOTTESVILLE, vIRGINIA, (804) 978-5945

PeopleSoft solved this problem with a connect routine which accepts an individual's Oracle userid and password, looks up the encrypted password to the userid of the database owner, disconnects, and reconnects as the database owner. In effect they turn off Oracle's security and use application-level security instead. I grant SELECT ANY TABLE to individual Oracle userids, enabling them to use ACCESS or any other ad-hoc reporting tool. The users don't know the password of the userid which is really used to do updates, so they have no option but to use the PeopleSoft programs for that.

This might be harder to implement in ACCESS because it's pretty easy to escape panels and get into the raw data -- although one ACCESS guru claimed to me that he could lock people out of the guts of it.

  • Paul de Anguera, City of Seattle / HRIS Project