Re: Printing Text in PL/SQL

From: (wrong string) ðmundsson <kjartang_at_ejs.is>
Date: 1996/01/23

mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com wrote:

>You could: 1) Create a table to store your error msgs and
> do an insert or

This will not work if he gets an exception in his pl/sql package, the exception means that the transaction is rolled back and so is any insert in an error table.

> 2) Use Dbms_Output.Put_Line(...) in your procedures and
> Spool the buffer to a file.
> For example:
> set serveroutput on
> spool chkmsg
> _at_scriptname.sql
> spool off

But what if his pl/sql package is not used from sqlplus, but say from a trigger or a forms application etc?

The only solution is to write a service program that uses dbms_pipe to do the text io work. I did that as a part of larger project to solve exactly these problems.

A text_io package will be available in oracle 7.2 or 7.3, I belive.

--
kjartang_at_ejs.is