Re: Alternative to Synonyms that is faster?

From: Paul Collins <76004.2053_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 1996/01/22

>I have the following problem:
>There is a production user that owns all production tables.
>I want to set up a development user that has all rights except
>that of dropping production tables. Howver, the queries of
>deveopers now have to be prefixed by "production.". This seems to
>be too much work.

>I could set up synonyms, but they do not seem to use indexes
>when i join them and the queries are way too slow. Am I stuck or
>is there a better way?

Badri, Synonyms have no impact on execution plans. You have some other type of problem. Could your developers have their own copies of the tables. If they do then those tables will be used and not the production ones unless they use schema.tablename notation. By the way it is my opinion that all programming should use the schema.tablename notation. If you want to cut down the keystrokes then just alias the table name in the from clause with a single letter. This will make your code maintenance much easier for future programmers.

--
Paul Collins
DBA