Re: Required Field Indication - HOW??

From: Leif Karsten Klepp <leifkle_at_powertech.no>
Date: 1996/01/22

Rick Poepping (rickp_at_crl.com) wrote:
: I am in the middle of a debate on how required fields should be indicated
: on a GUI form. We are trying to follow commercial best practices and using
: the Microsoft Windows standard, but it seems that this issue is always
: danced around. Our users want some indication of which field require
: entry and which are optional. We suggest highlighting a field after
[snip]

Hi,

In our application we decided upon prefixing all mandatory (required) fields with an asterix (*). The asterix (marker) is it's own label/field, and can as such be turned on/off for a given field if the required status is dependent on the busines logic. (In given situations this field is mandatory, at other times it is not.)

Good luck,
/Leif K.

Leif Karsten Klepp, Consultant
E-Mail: leifkle_at_powertech.no
S-Mail: [finger leifkle_at_powertech.no]

The views presented in this text does not neccessarily correspond with those of my organization or employer. These are my opinions, as a private individual. Received on Mon Jan 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message