Re: How did YOU get started?

From: Anders Moerk <anmrk_at_ny.us.ibm.net>
Date: 1996/01/22

hartwell_at_atl.mindspring.com (Hartwell Hooper) wrote:

>Just taking a little survey:

> How did you get started using/developing for Oracle?

> was it through a course in a university?
> entry level work experience?
> trade school?
> other?

>it seems to be a difficult thing to get started in. Any advice for
>people thinking about getting their feet wet for career advancement?

I am in the same boat as the one who asked how one is supposed to get started and I guess there is one way to suggest if you are right out of college and looking for an entry-level position.

As far as I have gathered from studying the Belgian job-market there are a lot of jobs around, but as usual there is a catch-22-situation for the people looking for entry-level positions.

  • Nobody is willing to employ a person that has no real experience with Oracle.
  • If you are not able to get a job, how are you supposed to finance your own experiments with Oracle.

But if you have access to a suitable hardware combination, such as a 486+ with 16 MB RAM you could start by working with the following book:

	Developing Personal Oracle 7 Applications by David Lockman
	SAMS Publishing, ISBN 0-672-30757-X, Price 45 US$

This book includes a cd with a 90-day trial version of:

	Oracle Power Objects for Windows
	Personal Oracle 7 for Windows
	Oracle 7 Workgroup Server for Netware, OS/2 and NT
	Oracle Objects for OLE

This is not going to make you an Oracle DBA overnight but it is a start.

Regards,

Anders Moerk
Regards,

Anders Moerk,
Student of Information Systems Management, EHSAL, Brussels, Belgium. Received on Mon Jan 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message