Re: Shared memory problem on Oracle 7.2.2

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1996/01/22

Bill Beaton wrote:

> I HAVE seen this error on 7.2.2.4! Even upping the shared pool to 8 times the
> size that we previously used on 7.0.16 doesn't get rid of the 4031 error. This
> is an ORACLE acknowledged bug ... one work-around is to 'alter system flush
> shared_pool' on a regular crontab entry. We find that the garbage collection
> in 7.2.2.x doesn't function correctly if the shared pool gets anywhere close
> to densely packed. Oracle did provide us with a bug fix that lets us go up
> to 20 minutes per 10 MB of shared_pool (i.e. approx. 80,000 small transactions).

I thought 7.2.2.4 was supposed to FIX this bug? I guess it's still there?

As another workaround, could you also use the DBMS_JOB package to schedule a stored procedure to run on a regular interval and issue the 'ALTER SYSTEM FLUSH SHARED_POOL' command?

--
Brian M. Biggs                             mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.                       voice: (513) 677-7661