Power Objects (Blaze or Blazing Saddles?)

From: <Ennio>
Date: 1996/01/20

I'd like to hear from some people who are doing "serious" Power Objects development. I was hoping to use the product for a project but I have a few concerns. Most notably, the performance of the Blaze database is absurd. I wanted to use it to store some information from the server, then bind it to different containers. This is important because I don't want to create tables on the server to do this. I did some experimentation and found that just creating 50 blank records in a Blaze table takes about a minute. This is on a Pentium 90. The size of the Blaze file is 200K. It doesn't seem as though a bound container keeps inserted records in memory at all (it writes after every insert), so I then created a standalone recordset at runtime, called the insertrow method 50 times and then committed. Well, the inserts were done in memory and that was fine. However, the commit then took about 30 seconds. Oracle claims a 4 Gb Blaze file is supported. I find this hard to believe, honestly I don't see how anyone could wait around to load 4 Gb of data anyway!

If anyone else out there has had similar problems, knows if this is to be fixed, or has any other information about it then please reply. I've tried this on two differently configured machines (W95 and 3.1), but maybe I still have a config problem. All I know is that it doesn't seem like this Blaze thing is much of a feature at all and it makes me wonder whether the product is worth the price or will be obsoleted to the Oracle graveyard sooner than expected.

Any and all Oracle employees you are welcome to respond as well. I'd really like to make this work. Received on Sat Jan 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message