Re: Converting Reports 2.0 to 2.5

From: Per Brondum <pbrondum_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/01/20

Rich Allan wrote:

> I am about to undertake a project to convert a relatively
> small application from Forms 4.0 to 4.5 and reports 2.0
> to 2.5.
>
> I have converted forms before, but am wondering if there
> is anything I should be aware of in converting reports.
> Is it as easy as they say, just generate under the new
> version, or has anybody experienced any problems that they
> would like to share.
>
> Thanks,
> Rich Allan.

Actually 2.5 will open and run 2.0 reports directly, even without you having to do a recompile.

No problems should occur while upgrading (ie all reports will run), but you should be aware of the following new features that will make your reports more powerful and easier to use:

New runtime features:

	o Parameters 'List Of Values'
	o OLE2 support
	o Reports Server (Engine stays alive)
	o Non-blocking SQL with SQL*Net 2.1 or higher
	o ASCII driver built-in

All of the above will make your reports more integrated on the desktop, execute faster and allow the user to keep working on other tasks while the reports are executing.

New designer features

	o Layout 'confined mode'
	o Layout 'Flex mode'

Both Designer features makes it easier for you to keep your layout in a consistent state, preventing overlapping frames, rep. frames etc.

Rgds,

--
Per Brondum
Senior Manager