Re: The 'daemon' process

From: Ken Denny <kedenny_at_mail.concentric.net>
Date: 1996/01/19

mvergara_at_sctcorp.com (Michael P. Vergara) wrote:
>Everyone:
>
>I have seen references in this newsgroup to the 'daemon' process,
>but I cannot find this process, package, or procedure anywher
>on my system (HP9000, v7.1.6 and v7.2.2). However, it sounds like
>something I need to look into.
>
>Can someone please tell me where I can find this process and it's
>docs?
>
>Thanks
>Mike Vergara
>---
>Michael P. Vergara | Changes in Latitudes
>SCT Utility Systems DBA | Changes in Attitudes
>mvergara_at_sctcorp.com | Nothing remains quite the same

There are two files: daemon.sql and daemon.pc. daemon.sql is a package which contains a number of functions, one of which is execute_system. From PL/SQL you can do:

<numeric data item> := daemon.execute_system(<system command>);

The daemon package will then pass the system command through DBMS_PIPE to the daemon Pro*C program (which must be running, BTW) which will execute the system command and pass the result (exit status only, not output) back to the daemon package which will return to the calling PL/SQL code. There are a number of people who have asked me for a copy of these files and I will be sending them out shortly. I will add your name to the list of people to send it to.

Ken Denny
Insight Industries, Inc.
RTP, NC Opinions expressed are my own and not those of my employer. Received on Fri Jan 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message