Re: coalescing free space

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1996/01/19

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Chuck Hamilton wrote:

> I remember reading somewhere that oracle is supposed to automatically
> coalesce free space if the blocks are contiguous. In other words if I
> have 3 10m spaces in the same datafile that are immediately next to
> each other, it's supposed to create one 30m space out of it. Does this
> work correctly in version 7.1? I have just such a situation but it
> never seems to coalesce the space. I even tried creating a 30m table
> in that datafile thinking that maybe it only happens when you create
> an object, but it didn't do it then either. What do I need to do to
> coalesce the space, short of recreating the tablespace?

There was a feature mentioned in this group about a month ago. Seems that if the DEFAULT pctincrease on a tablespace is 0, then ORACLE does not coalesce free space. I've set my default to 1 (% that is) and override it back to 0 on each table. This seems to cure the problem (where dropping the tables and creating them would run out of space on the 2nd or 3rd itteration). Looks like it collects free space only at create time.

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Fri Jan 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message