Re: Sql*Forms and SQL*plus Question!

From: Richard Bennett <73501.1703_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1996/01/19

Wascley Wabbit wrote:

> Does anyone know how to pass a password from SQL*Forms to SQL*Plus
> and have it masked? I use sqlplus name/password _at_process.sql
>
> The only problem with this, is that if someone types "w" from the
> command line (I'm in UNIX) their password shows up. I work with the
> DoD so this is Not good. Up to now, we have saved the Sql*plus
> password in a global variable and passed it from forms when we wanted
> to print Hard Copy reports and the like. Any ideas?

Try piping the username/password to sqlplus. You may also want to try using externally defined users accounts; however, externally defined user acounts may not be secure in some client-server configurations.

To pipe the command to sqlplus try the following: 1. Create a file with "<username>/<password>" in it. Use the Unix OS to enforce security on this file.
2. Pipe the file to your sqlplus call with:  "sqlplus _at_process.sql < unamepword.file"

This is one way to prevent passwords from showing up on the Unix process list.

Richard Bennett		E-Mail: richhb_at_sequent.com
				73501.1703_at_compuserve.com
Computer People Inc.	On contract to Sequent Computer Systems