Re: Automatic primary key in Oracle

From: Bill Beaton <willyb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/01/19

Veikko V{{t{j{ TKKK (vvaataja_at_news.abo.fi) wrote:
: How to use the oracle sequence feature? I want to use it for an auto
: increment primary key field but I can't figure out how to do it. If I'm
: doing something totally wrong, tell me! This is what I do:

: First I create the sequence with CREATE SEQUENCE SEQ_PRKEY;. Then I
: create a table that uses that key with CREATE TABLE SOMETABLE (ID INTEGER
: NOT NULL, SOMEFIELD VARCHAR(10),...,PRIMARY KEY(ID)); Oracle manuals say
: clearly that I can't use sequences in default values, so I figure that I need
: a trigger to put the sequence number in a record records primary key field.
: But how do I get the sequence number in a PL/SQL trigger??? Oracle doesn't
: accept NEW.ID:=SEQ_PRKEY.NEXTVAL; in the trigger body. WHY?

: Only thing that I want to do is to have an totally automatic primary key
: field. In interbase it works just like I describe above. How do I do it in
: Oracle???

        SELECT seq_prkey.nextval into new.id from dual;

--
Names:	Bill Beaton			beatonb_at_cadvision.com
					Bill_Beaton_at_calgary.qc-data.com