Re: V2 Migration Questions

From: Eric Ebinger <ebinger_at_alfie.drc.com>
Date: 1996/01/19

badri wrote:

> Hi:
>
> 1. We recently moved to Sql*Net V2. I noticed that we
> have to first type "lsnrctl", then type "start". Can this be done in 1 step?
> Could I type "lsnrctl start" to start it (it did not seem to work -
> may be I am missing someting).

This, like most issues dealing with Sql*Net, is operating system dependent. On VMS you must include the start command when invoking lsnrctl (if you try to issue the start command from the lsnrctl> prompt it will not start up properly). Read the documentation. Or at least tell us what system you are running on.

> 2. I was told that there is no upward compatibility of
> V1 connect strings to V2, i.e., we have to replace all occurrences
> of V1 connect strings with V2 connect strings. Even for our medium
> size database (16GB), the applications are so many that It is too
> much trouble to find every V1 occurrence and update it. How are netters
> coping with this? Is there a smarter way of typing in V1 connect
> strings and making the V2 listener automatically interpret it as
> V2?

There is no way for the V2 listener to understand V1 connect strings. On several operating systems it is possible to have both a V2 listener and a V1 listener running at the same time. Read the documentation. Or at least tell us what system you are running on.

Eric Ebinger Received on Fri Jan 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message