Re: What else to run an OCI app on a workstation?

From: Charles Jardine <cj10_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/01/18

abb2u_at_netcom.com (Al Bledsoe) wrote:

>Seems you can't just take a compiled program that links in sqlnet
>libraries and run it anywhere. At least I can't get the thing to run
>on anything other than the servers that have oracle installed.
>So, what are the prerequisites? How much does oracle want in their
>piggy-bank? Is there just a sqlnet install needed perhaps, or some
>sort of client licence package? How much we be talking?

You don't say what platform. The following is tested on SunOS 4 and may be true on other unices.

OCI programs compiled and linked on a machine with Oracle can be run on a machine without Oracle installed provided the following steps are taken:

  1. Add the following line to /etc/services if it isn't there:

orasrv 1525/tcp oracle

2. If the machine runs NIS (aka yellow pages), do a ypmake

3. Set the TWO_TASK environment variable to

T:ip.name.of.the.server:SID

Er ... that's it.

Of course, you must have a licence to run the Oracle on the machine. Received on Thu Jan 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message