Re: coalescing free space

From: <gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca>
Date: 1996/01/18

> Jay Mehta <71034.261_at_compuserve.com> writes:
> Chuck,
>
> We are using Oracle 7.1.4 on HP/UX 10.0, and we can coalesce contiguous
> free space extnets by creating a table. Background process smon is
> responsible for free space coalescing, but it has problems waking-up. So
> this task isn't performed automatically. Oracle 7.3 has on-demand
> coalescing feature that you can use per tablespace basis.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jay Mehta
> DBA
> Mobil Oil

Actually, in your RDBMS version (7.1.4), there is the undocumented command:

alter session set events 'immediate trace name coalesce level n'

where n is the tablespace number returned from 'select ts#, name from ts$';

I believe that you must be logged on as sys... and I'm not sure, but you probably want to make sure that there is no activity on that particular tablespace when you run this command.

Regards,
Gary Wong (gary.wong_at_cyberstore.ca)
Information Technology Consultant
(604) 360-1699 (Voice)
(604) 384-1178 (Fax) Received on Thu Jan 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message